Batavia MainStreet Executive Director Job Description & Objectives
Mon November 4, 2019
Batavia, IL- The Batavia MainStreet Executive Director is the face and leader of the organization. The mission of Batavia MainStreet is to create a unique and vital downtown that enriches the business community, embraces history, celebrates the arts, preserves our natural environment and promotes quality events to instill a ‘sense of place’ in our community. We do this by being a central connecting point for a wide variety of stakeholders, volunteers, and partners using the National Main Street Four Point Approach. Our success depends on the strength and active participation of Batavia’s city leadership and staff, downtown property owners, downtown businesses, event sponsors, volunteers, and MainStreet board of directors.
The Executive Director is the principle on-site staff responsible for coordinating program activities, managing MainStreet staff and volunteers, overseeing the implementation and execution of board approved work plans, communicating to all downtown stakeholders (city government, property owners, businesses, community members and board members), and representing the MainStreet organization locally, statewide and nationally.
- · Develop and execute, in conjunction with the Batavia MainStreet Board of Directors, strategies and work plans that contribute to our downtown’s economic vitality, promote our downtown as the heart of the community, enhance the look, function, and beauty of our downtown district, and increase the effectiveness of the Batavia MainStreet organization.
- · Be visible in the community and become a valuable “go-to” resource to all downtown stakeholders.
- · Represent the downtown community and advise all stakeholders about MainStreet program activities, goals
- · and accomplishments at the local, state, and national level.
- · Recruit and retain downtown businesses proactively on behalf of downtown property owners and the City of Batavia.
- · Encourage a consistent and cooperative climate among downtown stakeholders and local public officials.
- · Coordinate the activities of the MainStreet organization, stakeholders, committees, and volunteers by providing oversight, education, communication, and support using the National Main Street Four Point approach as an organizational framework to lead and manage the organization.
- · Assist individual business owners and property owners by connecting them to information, resources, people, businesses, consultants, organizations or city staff to help them with physical improvement projects, financial assistance, marketing, vacancies, or other business-related needs.
- · Help coordinate joint promotional events, festivals and business promotions that attract people to our downtown and establish it as the heart of our community. ? Manage all administrative aspects of the MainStreet program, including, but not limited to: purchasing, record keeping, budget development, accounting, preparation of board and committee packets, grant preparation, supervision of employees, volunteers, interns, and consultants, and producing all reports required by the City of Batavia, other funding agencies/sources, the National Main Street Center and Main Street America, Illinois Main Street and the Batavia MainStreet Board of Directors.
- · Understand the importance of volunteer involvement and take an active role in training, coordinating, utilizing, and recognizing this critically valuable resource.
- · Identify and secure grant opportunities for Batavia MainStreet that enhance our ability to fulfill our mission and vision.
- · Conduct ongoing public awareness, business retention, and education programs designed to enhance appreciation of the downtown district’s assets and to foster an understanding of Batavia MainStreet’s goals and objectives.
- · Develop and maintain data to track the progress and value of the Batavia MainStreet program to our stakeholders. Ensure that the City of Batavia and members of the downtown SSA that helps to financially support our program stays informed of our activities and the value we bring to each of these important funding partners.
- · Oversee fundraising and sponsorship activities to ensure that Batavia MainStreet has the funding available to make resource and financial investments that fulfill our mission and vision.
- · Ensure that the Batavia MainStreet as a nonprofit organization abides by all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, while maintaining associated records and reporting procedures.
- · Represent the Batavia MainStreet organization effectively and professionally at all time.
- · All other duties as assigned by the Batavia MainStreet Board of Directors
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
The Executive Director must have leadership, general business computer skills, and education and/or experience in at least one of the following areas: non-profit management, non-profit development, business administration, public administration, economic development, small business development, Main Street experience or other experience that provides understanding of the issues confronting downtown business people, property owners, public agencies and community organizations. The Executive Director should be entrepreneurial, energetic, imaginative, well organized and capable of managing staff, interns, and volunteers. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a “volunteer/non-profit DNA” are essential to success.
Experience in graphic design/publishing, Quickbooks, PR, and social media are desirable.
Minimum 1-year management experience & Bachelor’s Degree Required.
Batavia MainStreet offers a competitive salary range: $45,000 - $60,000.
Batavia MainStreet does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual preference, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Submit resume and Cover Letter to:
5 East Wilson St.
Batavia, IL 60510
(630) 761-3528 – email@example.com